A. The Trustees and the staff will strive to maintain a balance in library services and collections for adults, young people and children.
B. Book and materials not owned by the Library will be accessed through the Interlibrary Loan System to the extent available.
C. The Library staff will lend to other libraries materials which are requested, as long as these materials are not in use, on reserve or part of a non-circulating collection.
D. The Library will be open sufficient hours to meet the needs of the community. The Library trustees will determine holiday closure dates annually in December.
E. The Library will be closed if the schools close for inclement weather.
F. Registered patrons of the Library as well as Interlibrary Loan patrons may borrow materials.
G. All Library materials may be loaned for the designated length of time as outlined below:
1. Books may be borrowed for a period of one month except for the following:
a. New books circulate for two weeks.
b. Interlibrary Loans have individual due dates according to the loaning library’s due date.
c. Certain reference, unique and/or fragile items are restricted to use within the library building and are considered part of the non-circulating collection. (In general, these items are identified by the lack of card and book packet and REF on the spine label.)
2. Audio materials may be borrowed for one month.
3. Magazines may be borrowed for two weeks.
4. Children’s videos may be borrowed for two weeks. New DVDs (designated with a “New” sticker) will circulate for one week. Cardholders are limited to borrowing two “New” DVDs at a time. If a patron has any overdue materials, including DVDs, he/she may not check out more materials, including DVDs.
5. A cardholder may have up to 2 new DVDs, 5 old DVDs, 5 new books from the adult section, 30 other books and 5 audiobooks checked out on his or her card at one time.
6. Renewals may be made either at the Library or by phone. Renewals may not be made for books for which there is a waiting list or for books borrowed through Interlibrary Loan.
7. Lost, damaged or overdue materials will be subject to payment by the patron at current replacement rate plus postage and processing fees. (RSA 202-A:25)
8. The Trustees and/or Librarian may deny the use of the Library and its property for due cause as outlined in Section III,C. Such actions will be documented and copies sent to the person involved.
9. Please see “Salisbury Free Library Overdue Procedures” for a full outline of overdue procedures. See Appendix for this policy.
H. Use of the Internet
1. The Salisbury Free Library and its Board of Trustees subscribe to the ALA Access to Electronic Information, Services and Networks, an Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights, which states that “libraries should use technology to enhance, not deny, access to information.”
2. The Internet is a global and unregulated information network. Information that is controversial or mature in nature, as well as information that is not complete, accurate or current is unavoidable. The Library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to or use of information obtained through the Internet, or any consequences thereof. Furthermore, Library patrons should be aware that privacy of the public Internet terminals cannot be guaranteed due to provisions of the Patriot Act.
3. Where use of the Internet by children is concerned, it is the Library’s policy that parents or legal guardians must assume responsibility for deciding what Library resources are appropriate for their children, including the Internet. Youth under the age of twelve (12) will be required to have a parent or guardian on the premises while accessing the Internet.
4. Computer Usage Guidelines
a. Users may not view, send or receive, or print sexually explicit text or graphics inappropriate for use in a public setting.
b. Users may not use Library terminals for any activity that is deliberately offensive or creates an intimidating or hostile environment.
c. Users may not use any Library terminal for illegal purposes.
d. Users may not attempt in any way to alter, damage, abuse or sabotage computer equipment or software.
e. Users may not download files or install programs.
f. Users may not save onto the hard drive (C).
g. Users may download material to a personal storage device.
h. Printing is available for 15¢ per page
i. Any damage to the computer or its peripheral devices is the responsibility of the user. Abuse of the equipment or the service will result in the user being denied further access to the service. Malicious damage may result in prosecution.
j. Computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If there is a waiting line, users will be restricted to 30-minute sessions.
k. Due to the limited bandwidth available, the Library staff reserves the right to ask patrons to stop/change their Internet activity after 30 minutes if the patron’s use of the Internet is impeding the workflow of the Library staff.
l. Violation of any of the above guidelines may result in the loss of Internet privileges.
5. Wireless Internet Access Policy
a. Patrons are advised to use the latest anti-virus, spyware and other protection software.
b. Connecting to the wireless network is at the patron’s own risk and the Salisbury Free Library shall not be responsible for any damages, direct or indirect, occurring as a result of the use of the Library’s electronic resources.
c. Library staff will provide general information on the settings necessary to access the Internet via our wireless connection. If a user has problems accessing the Internet over this connection, staff will verify only that the Library’s connection is operating normally.
d. Printing access will not be available via the wireless connection.
I. Patrons may use the public photocopier. The cost is 15¢ per page.
J. Patrons may ask the Library staff to FAX materials on their behalf. The cost is $0.10 per page. The Library cannot guarantee transmission of any document and strongly suggests patrons call after the FAX is sent to confirm the document was received in its entirety.
Adopted by the Salisbury Free Library Board of Trustees, February 1999. Amended September 2011. Amended February 2013. Amended January 2015. Amended October 2015. Amended October 2016. Amended December 2016.