3-D Printer Workshop – Tuesday, May 9 at 6 pm
Want to learn what you can do with our new 3-D printer? Come to our hands-on workshop. Class size is limited to 5, so sign-up is required. If we run out of space in the class, additional sessions will be scheduled. If you have a laptop, please bring it.
The library has recently acquired a Da Vinci Mini w 3-D printer. Click on the link to go to the manufacture’s website and learn more.
What does it do?
- Prints with PLA filament (a biodegradable, corn-based plastic alternative).
- Accepts the following file types: .stl , XYZ Format (.3w), 3mf
- Will print objects up to 5.9 x 5.9 x 5.9 inches
- We only currently have translucent light blue filament available.
- We do not have a 3-D scanner, so it does not work as a “photocopier” of objects. It prints from a file of an object, not from the object itself.
The first object is free for Salisbury residents with a valid library card. Subsequent objects are $0.05 per gram. If you provide us with a compatible 3-D object file (email to email@example.com), we can print it for you. Build times of objects vary but can take several hours.
How to get a file?
- Our printer came with XYZMaker 1.0, a simple 3-D design application you can either download your own file fro XYZPrinting’s gallery of printable objects or create your own XYZMaker file with the help from their website’s instructional videos.
- The most popular site for 3-D printable objects is Thingiverse.
- Tinkercad is a free online design software site that has great tutorial walk-through for beginners. Diving into the basics that are needed to create and print your designs.
- Workshops will be available soon for 3D printing! The librarians of Salisbury Free Public Library can offer assistance anytime with our 3D printer but we look forward to future workshops and one-on-one tutorials on both designing and printing objects!